- Department Overview
- Degree Programs
- Civil Engineering
- Architectural Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Student Opportunities
- Faculty & Staff
- Academy of Civil Engineers
- Conferences and Seminars
- FE Exam
Butler-Carlton Civil Engineering Hall
This 143,000-square-foot structure is a working "laboratory" in which even the hallways are designed to teach engineering. It houses approximately 18 classrooms, 32 state-of-the-art labs, and over 55 faculty, staff and graduate student offices. The building features transparent architecture design to teach students about construction and structural engineering even as they cruise the hallways.
The renovated, expanded building features some of the most modern civil engineering research facilities in Missouri. Those facilities include a three-story high-bay structures laboratory, which allows researchers to conduct heavy-duty testing of full-scale steel beams and other large construction materials; an expanded hydraulics laboratory designed for the real-time study of rainfall; a rooftop greenhouse for the study of wetlands and environment-cleansing trees; and interconnected environmental engineering laboratories and classrooms.
The building includes a student advising complex, computer learning centers, a geotechnical engineering laboratory, graduate research offices and labs, a senior design lab, large classrooms, the Needles Seminar Room (named after 1914 civil engineering graduate Enoch Needles), student lounge areas, and two lecture halls named for prominent alumni: the Gunther Lecture Hall, funded through a gift from 1960 graduate Don Gunther and his wife Rosemary, and the Neil Stueck Lecture Hall, funded through the estate of Conelius S.P. Stueck, a 1943 graduate.
The centerpiece of the building is an expansive atrium, funded through a gift from Fred Kummer, a 1955 graduate, and his wife June.