- Degree Programs
- Student Opportunities
- News and Events
15 hours CAN change the world
The minor requires 15 hours of approved classes. One class, CE/EnvE 5642 Sustainability (3 credit hours), is required of all students. Students also take at least two approved classes from each of two general categories: social science classes and science/technical classes (see below). Classes that meet the minor requirements in each category span many departments on campus, given the interdisciplinary nature of sustainability. At least nine credit hours must be from outside the student’s home degree program.
- EnvE 5642 – Sustainability, Population, Energy, Water and Materials
This class looks at society-wide issues and the ethos of sustaining our social advancement and infrastructure development.
The curricula criteria for this minor, including lists of approved courses in the two general categories, is maintained by the Sustainability Program Board.
Interested students may contact a Sustainability Program Board Representative to apply for the minor and to receive assistance with meeting requirements.
2020-2021 Board of Representatives
Arts & Humanities
Social Science Classes (at least two required):
- Econ 4440 - Environmental and Natural Resources Economics
- Econ 4540 - Energy Economics
- History 2510 - History of Technology
- History 3510 - 20th Century Technology and Society
- History 2530 - History of Science
- History 3470 - American Environmental History
- Pol. Sci. 3300 - Principles of Public Policy
- Pol. Sci. 3510 - Politics of the Third World
- Psych 4730 - Environmental Psychology
Technical and Science Classes (at least two required):
- Arch E/CE 5448 - Green Engineering: Analysis of Constructed Facilities
- BioSci 1173 - Introduction to Environmental Science
- BioSci 5463 - Global Ecology
- ChE 5330 - Alternative Fuels
- ChemE 5305 - Hazardous Materials Management
- EnvE 2601 - Fundamentals of Environmental Engineering and Science
- EnvE/CE 5670 - Solid Waste Management
- GE 5247 - Introduction to International Engineering and Design
- GE 5556 - Renewable Energy Systems
- GE/CerE 4510 - International Engineering Design
- ME 5282/AE 5282 - Introduction to Composite Materials and Structures